Saturday 19 August 2023

Unidentified noctuid

I had well over 400 moths to the MV garden trap on Thursday night. This included 87 White-point, 58 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing, 37 Common Wainscot and 30 Vine's Rustic. There was nothing of great interest, although 13 Oak Processionary is probably the most I have seen. I did though have this noctuid that I have failed to identify. Any suggestions most welcome. It has pale underwings, and I have indicated the size in the picture.
Steve Trigg, Cookham

3 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,
    Have a look at our dear friend Square-spot Rustic again, which is the answer to most noctuid queries at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I really should have known. Many thanks Dave.

      Delete
    2. I'm impressed by your totals from last Thursday night (and those from Martin T too). I've had much lower counts here for White-point, Common Rustic & Vine's Rustic although they are now into double digits. I've also only had the one Oak Processionary so far.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.