Wednesday 2 August 2023

Small Wainscot...or Mere?

 I have this down as a Small Wainscot, (recorded in my garden on 23rd July), but on closer examination, there appears to be a faint kidney mark, which suggests it could in fact be Mere Wainscot. On the other hand, the leading edge of the wing is maybe too curved for Mere? Having trawled through images online I am still undecided, though on balance I'm slightly in favour of Mere, so advice sought please!


My curiosity being aroused, I checked back through my photo archive and came upon this, from almost an identical date in 2022, July 21st, which looks as if it might also be a candidate for Mere Wainscot. This from private woodland in north Bucks.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil,
    It would be far easier with the moths "in the hand", but my guess would be Small Wainscot for the first but Mere Wainscot for the second. You should get both where you are.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.