Thursday 31 August 2023

Webb's Wainscot, plus?

Last night's catch in my garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, was pretty uninspiring - I've been away for a few days, and will be off again for a week from tomorrow, so the year-list is languishing. However, I had an NFG lifer on 21st August in the form of a Webb's Wainscot which, judging by the Atlas, isn't terribly common hereabouts, though it seems to be increasing.

Webb's Wainscot, 21/8/23

On the same night, I had the moth below which I haven't pinned down to my satisfaction; any suggestions would be very welcome. I strongly suspect it'll prove to be something perfectly familiar which I should know very well, but I can't seem to spot anything terribly similar in the book.


Unknown macro, 21/8/23
Steve Goddard

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if that is a Hedge Rustic, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Peter -- that looks to be ticking all the right boxes, including the impression of quite light underwings. It turns out I've had the species once before, on 15th August last year, and the photo from then looks consistent with this one. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Steve, I've looked at it again and it is one of the darker browner forms of Flounced Rustic

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.