Monday 10 September 2018

Clifdens

Trapped local woodland for two target species like Dave recently did at Finemere. Oak Lutestring turned up but in very modest numbers compared to what it has in some years, and so did Clifden Nonpareil with two in the same trap. Other than quite a few large yellow Underings moth numbers were generally low but there were lots of wasps and hornets and a lot of the moths were a little worse for wear as a result unfortunately.

Clifden Nonpareil VC22, 08/09/2018
2nd Clifden Nonpareil VC22, 08/09/2018
Oak Lutestring VC22, 08/09/2018
The same night a small Ranunculus was attracted to the garden trap - as has often been observed with this species it was not in the trap but on the fence nearby. I only see the adult of this moth once every now and again despite finding it easy to find large numbers of the larvae every year on Lactuca serriola, often right next to the moth trap, so it was nice to see this attractive moth in adult form for once.

Small Ranunculus: adult in Didcot garden 08/09/2018, larvae
on Lactuca serriola in Crowmarsh Gifford 05/09/2018


Marc Botham, Didcot



2 comments:

  1. Hi Marc, I've heard others say that Small Ranunculus larvae are easy to find but I've yet to find one anywhere local to me in Westcott (and I have searched where I've found Prickly Lettuce, of which there is usually plenty on any disturbed ground). Maybe it is still a bit too rural for it to be around here in any numbers - think it might be a city dweller, a bit like Toadflax Brocade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    yes possibly, or maybe just hasn't got that far yet as I used to get lots of larvae in my garden when i lived rurally in Ipsden on the farm there and also I have found the larvae on plants around villages away from towns for example Culham, where I have had a quick look on plants growing out of the pavement in the past. Toadflax Brocade definitely seems to be a city dweller - larvae and adults again this year in my new garden.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.