Sunday 23 September 2018

Possible Pearly Underwing

Having had the occasional Turnip turn up over the last few weeks this one looked a little different.



I wondered if it was a Pearly Underwing? Although not shown in these images there was no sign of any feathering on the lower half of the antennae.

Otherwise a very small catch last night with an Angle Shades the only one of any note.
Heart and Dart seem to have finally come to an end. I got 5 on the 16th September. Although the books mention a small second brood these were all very worn individuals.

Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.

5 comments:

  1. Andy, I thought the diagnostic for the turnip was a light fringe with a dark line - looking at Pearly Underwings they don't seem to have that? So I'd say Turnip but would be interested what others have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think probably a female Turnip. Pearly Underwing should have a noticeable lightish-coloured crest across the top of the thorax (a bit like a "Mohican") which is usually the best initial pointer to that species, although it can get worn so it may be worth hanging on to your moth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I think that a female Turnip is most likely. I was struggling to find images of Turnip hindwings for comparison with the Pearly Underwing image in the field guide. In the end I dusted off my old copy of South which hasn't seen the light of day for a few years. I will keep the moth just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, both male and female bits are very different, so it's an easy one to chop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now confirmed as female Turnip. Thanks Peter. I

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.