Sunday 16 September 2018

Marlow Bottom 15/9/18

Just the three hornets in the trap last night, so they are reducing in number and only took a couple of moths.

Fairly usual fare, but Dotted Chestnut is the first example here that hasn't been in the Spring.


A Red Underwing at the bottom of the trap had me excited for a split second, hoping for the blue underwing and another Cydalima perspectalis - these still seem to be sporadic visitors and my box bushes are still ok at the moment. A fresh looking Carcina quercana may have been a second brood. I had four Epinotia sp, two of which were definite nisella, a common moth here, but the other two were fairly grey and will go for dissection. I suspect that they will also be nisella, though I read that grey nisella are supposed to be unusual. I have no Aspen anywhere nearby that I know of, so think cinereana is unlikely, but you never know.

Grey E. nisella or cineceana

The more usual E nisella
Adam Bassett

3 comments:

  1. Of the 165 records in the Bucks database (all bar 2 from 2000 to 2017) only 11 have been in the Autumn and all in October. Perhaps it isn't interested in coming to light before new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd get the grey Epinotia checked out just in case

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.