Thursday 25 February 2021

ID Confirmations please

 First good night this year. Only 5 moths  but it feels like a good start.

First moth I saw was a particularly smart Satellite

 


Second out of the gate was what I think is a Small Quaker


 



 And then what I assume is a sooty looking Spring Usher



 Inside the trap was this Chestnut. The clear black & white edging suggests a Dark Chestnut rather than Chestnut, but I wonder if this one is actually an early dark Red Chestnut?




The final moth was a standard looking Hebrew Character.

Other than the Satellite I'd appreciate some definate IDs.


Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford

3 comments:

  1. Hello Mark,
    Yes to Small Quaker and Spring Usher. The final moth is just a standard Chestnut, though. While this one may be quite a "reddish" example, Red Chestnut (no relation other than via its vernacular name) has a very straight costa which should make it very obvious when you get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these comments about overall shape, edging etc. but nothing about the tip of the forewing, which is the key feature. From what I can see both the recent postings look like Dark Chestnut but then I don't have the benefit of having either of them in my hand.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.