Tuesday 9 February 2021

Leaf mines (sort of!) in Longwick

 As the weekend was somewhat cold for trapping and too windy for the local farmland birds (such as there are) I picked up Ben Smarts book on finding micros. Sure enough the expected Leucographella leaf mines could be find on the Pyracanthus and I then tried for Psychoides Filicivora on various garden ferns. I didn't find that but I did find what i think are feeding signs of Psychoides Verhuella on Harts Tongue Fern?

I attach a photograph of the feeding signs for confirmation. I have seen the adult once a couple of year's ago on the front door so this species seems most likely?


2 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew,
    You may well be correct but I think I'd prefer to see the larva to be absolutely sure because they can both feed on Hart's-tongue Fern. The larva of P.verhuella has a black head, as opposed to light brown on P.filicivora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave,

    I think I will leave them be for a while in the cold weather! I will keep a look out for them later to confirm.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.