Sunday 28 February 2021

Chestnutty?

 



Sorry, this may be too big an ask but there are so few moths around here on these icy nights that I am keen to ID the ones which do brave the temperatures. Apologies for the quality of this image, shown at two different exposures, but it was taken at 11.30pm on the assumption that the moth would still be there in the morning. It wasn't. My guess would be Chestnut or Dark Chestnut but I would appreciate any advice, if possible.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

3 comments:

  1. Hello Martin. There is something about the fuzziness which I think is not just the result of the challenging photographic conditions, but is related to the moth itself.

    This reminds me of a Clouded Drab. To me, they have the appearance of a watercolour painting in which the paint has run more than intended. Someone else may be along to put me right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin,
    I agree with Tim's suggestion, that's a Clouded Drab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi both and thanks so much as always. I like your description, Tim! It's also great to see the variety of moths appearing so early in the year on the blog. All warmest M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.