Saturday 20 February 2021

Moths not in the moth trap

I ran the moth trap on Thursday 18th but despite the warm(er) temperature, there were no moths.  

In an effort to find some other insect life, I went out onto Naphill Common (walked there! in case the polis are reading).

 I tried beating some Yew (Taxus baccata) and to my surprise found some moths.

The first was this splendid  Oak Nycteoline (Nycteola revayana), which I did not realise overwinters in evergreens.  

 

I also found this large micro (length c10mm) which I'm struggling to place.  I think it might be Ypsolopha ustella (....can be tapped from dense vegitation in winter... Sterling & Parsons, 2012), but not sure? Suggestions most welcome! 


Neil Fletcher

Walter's Ash, VC24

1 comment:

  1. Hi Neil,
    That's a very smart Oak Nycteoline! Your micro is indeed one of the many forms of Ypsolopha ustella.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.