Sunday 21 February 2021

Kick-off

I finally decided to make a start on this year's trapping in my garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, on Saturday (I'd previously been put off by cold temperatures and/or heavy rain), and stuck my actinic bulb out for the night. To my surprise, I had three customers by the morning: an Emmelina monodactyla; the handsome Red-green Carpet below (a little early by the look of things, but not ridiculously so); and the micro underneath it, which I suspect may be a Tortricodes alternella, which Martin Wainwright got at Thrupp recently. If that is what it is, it's a new one to me, which would be a very good start to the year (but it might just turn out to be a Cnephasia...). If anyone could confirm, or correct, I'd be very grateful.

Red-Green Carpet, 20th February 2021

Possible Tortricodes alternella, 20th February 2021

Steve Goddard




2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,
    Yes, that's Tortricodes alternella. Nice to get a new garden species so early in the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent -- thanks, Dave. Looks as though it's a case of a species doing well across the region, judging by others' reports.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.