Sunday 21 February 2021

Perseverance

 


My post shares the name of NASA's wonderful (and insect-like) Mars Rover because of the photographic obstacle race I ran this morning to get a clear image of this Acleris cristana, known to me as the Lizard Moth because it appears to have one on its back. Top left was the familiar, useless image from inside the bowl, top left a better effort with the trap moved into the darkness of the shed. My ensuing attempt to entice the moth on to an egg box ended with its escape but I tracked it to a window. Here, however, the image was even worse. Almost in despair, I persuaded it on to a piece of thin paper. It scuttled underneath but stayed put when I turned the paper over. Result!

Incidentally, Penny made the interesting comment on the two right-hand images: "You can tell which is male and which is female, from the way they have folded their wings." This human habit with jackets has always baffled me - does anyone know its origins? - but these images are all of the same moth. So my second question is: does this species - and indeed others - fold its/their wings both ways for reasons either known or unknown?

My only other moth this morning was my first Dotted Border, but I forgot to light the trap until 11pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.