Sunday 6 April 2014

Bit of a slow-down

Well, last night (5th April) was considerably less productive than we'd hoped - possibly a little too windy for the moths to enjoy? So we were back into single figures both for individuals and species; they did include, however, what I suspect may be a Brindled Pug - as ever, confirmation or other suggestions would be very welcome.

Possible Brindled Pug, 5/4/14

A couple of nights ago, we had our first Brimstone of the year, and a micro I've completely failed to get any idea of: again, if there are any suggestions, we'd be grateful! Steve and Xander Goddard.

Unknown micro, 3/4/14

Brimstone, 3/4/14

6 comments:

  1. Hi Steve & Xander, I'd suggest that your micro is Acrolepiopsis assectella (the Leek Moth) which is now quite common locally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Dave: that looks very plausible from the Sterling/Parsons/Lewington. Any thoughts on the pug? I have a suspicion that I'm missing something obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'm sure you know by now, Pugs can be quite difficult to determine from pictures! I'm not really sure about your example but I would have tended towards Oak-tree rather than Brindled.

      Delete
  3. Fair enough! -- I suspect it'll have to be One That Got Away...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve, that's an Oak-tree Pug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent: thanks, Peter -- gives me some hope that somewhere near us, there are enough oak trees to one day produce a Merveille du Jour...

    ReplyDelete