Saturday 9 July 2016

The one that got away

I took the lid off my trap in the garden this morning to bring inside to check and flew straight out was what i first thought was a Red Admiral. It did a quick fly around the garden before disappearing over the fence, definately not a Red Admiral. I think it may have been a Scarlet Tiger, a moth I've never seen before and hoping it will return later. Im not going to count it as i didnt ID it 100%.
Other new moths for the garden this week are Schoenobius gigantella, Athrips mouffetella and possible Scoparia basistrigalis.
Schoenobius gigantella
Athrips mouffetella
Possible Scoparia basistrigalis
I know these Scoparia/Eudonias are difficult to Id, other suggestions welcome.

Darren Seaman, Milton Keynes.




4 comments:

  1. Basistrigalis is quite a big Scoparid. What size was it (in relation to ambigualis for example)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt notice any real size difference, its in the freezer so if you don't mind i will send you it Peter, along with a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disturbed a scarlet tiger in the garden today, so they are around. It obligingly settled in a tree, so I could get a positive identification.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.