Thursday 8 June 2017

Muslin Footman pupa

Over the last few weeks I have come across several Muslin Footman larvae (image 1) while sawing up logs. Yesterday I found what I assume is a pupa of the same in its cocoon (images 2 and 3) in the same log pile.





Last night's catch was a little better than anticipated with several species that were new for the garden this year (Silver Y, Common Wainscot, Clouded Border, Snout and Barred Yellow) as well as this rather fine female Ghost moth. The first time I have had a female in the trap although I have had a few males.



Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.

3 comments:

  1. That's a smart larva, one I've never seen and I would certainly have struggled to identify it from Porter's caterpillar book! Most nights recently I've seen at least one larva of one of the other Footmen (Common I think) grazing on lichens on our garden fence near where the trap is run. How it avoids all the spiders I'll never know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we are right with the ID. It was my son who managed to track it down using Porter's book so I'll blame him if it is wrong. I do have another image that shows the raised black structure in the middle of the back more clearly and is more like the majority of the images I have seen on the internet. I was impressed by the way the hairs were incorporated into the cocoon. I have not found other images of the cocoon and presumably they are difficult to photograph if they are constructed in crevices.

      Delete
    2. I've no doubt that the ID is correct, Andy. If you look at Reg Fry's website (always the best place to start for early stages: www.ukleps.org/ ) there are very good matches for both larva and cocoon/pupa, although your images seem much more brightly coloured!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.