Thursday 15 October 2020

Another new garden species

Checking the leaves on our apple tree this morning, I found a leaf-edge fold which I thought might be an old vacated mine of Callisto denticulella so I opened it and was surprised to find it tenanted.  There was a fully-grown Parornix larva inside which on apple can only be Parornix scoticella.  Although common it is a species which has not been recorded here before.  It is also perhaps a little bit late to be at this stage because Emmet's Guide to the Smaller British Lepidoptera gives August-September for second brood larvae, but that publication does date from the 1970s.

Parornix scoticella, Westcott 15th October

Parornix scoticella, Westcott 15th October

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:  24 hours later the Parornix larva had managed to almost completely re-seal the leaf-edge fold with silk, something I hadn't expected it to be capable of.

Parornix scoticella, Westcott 16th October
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Having done some leaf-mining with Peter Hall in Herefordshire a couple of days ago and found some active mines of Stigmella tiliae there, I gave our lime tree another once over today but managed to find just the one vacated mine of that species (I've not yet managed to find a tenanted mine in Bucks).  It is shown below with a "bonus mine" of Bucculatrix thoracella on the same leaf.  

Mines of Stigmella tiliae (top) and
  Bucculatrix thoracella (bottom),
 Westcott 15th October

Dave Wilton Westcott, Bucks    

3 comments:

  1. Prompted by your post I checked my records and found that I have recorded 10 P. scoticella as adults in the garden over the last 3 years (1,2 and 7). As it is classed as 'Common' I had never really looked any further but now looking at the county records that I have access to it seems that there are 162 records for Warwickshire but only 3 for Berkshire to 2019. I wonder what it's distribution is nationally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    There are around 40 confirmed records for Bucks, 27 of which are of dissected adults and the remainder as leaf-mines on Apple, Rowan, Whitebeam & Wild Service Tree. One of the mines on Apple was reared by Andy King and the resulting adult was also dissected. So a reasonable number of records for the county but it is bound to be under-recorded everywhere because of the need for dissection and the limited number of people interested in leaf-mining! However, John Langmaid's map (see the link to "Micro-moth Distribution Maps" on the right-hand column of this page) shows that it has been found in almost every vice-county in the UK so I'm sure it does deserve to be classed as "common".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your reply. All of my records are of dissected males. As I run my trap under the edge of an apple tree canopy it is probably not surprising that I am recording a fair number.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.