Thursday 8 October 2020

Dewicks Plusia Makes it to Longwick

I almost didn't bother  trapping last night given the wind and rain but I'm glad I did as the fairly meagre numbers (about 24 moths heavily outnumbered by flies!) contained not only a fresh looking Clifden Nonpareil but this immediately recognisable Dewick's Plusia. That's another one of the "dream" moths on the garden list and it certainly raised the spirits sitting peacefully in the eggboxes.

I also trapped this dark plume with distinctly blackish underwings. Apologies for the photos as the light wasn't great this morning. I always admit to being rubbish at plumes. Is it Brown Plume?



1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    As there are few plume species around now I suspect it is Emmelina monodactyla. The species is variable in colour and can sometimes be quite dark, the markings on the body fit and in your image the spurs on the hind legs do appear to be of different lengths.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.