Sunday 15 November 2020

Cold Case Review

 A trapping session in July was brought to a sudden halt by rain. I quickly emptied the trap, noting anything that I immediately recognised and potting one example of everything else. The next day I worked through the few macros that I had potted, but I ran out of time for most of the micros as we were going away on holiday the day after, so they ended up in the freezer. I finally sorted through them this week: there were about a dozen that I could confidently identify, but four have beaten me. I'd be grateful for any help.

Moths 1 and 2 (two views of the latter to show the palps) have a forewing length of 6 mm: possibly the same species.

Moth 1


Moth 2

Moth 3 is about 7 mm long and I'm wondering if it is an Anacampsis sp.

Moth 3

Moth 4 is about 12 mm. At first glance I thought of a dark example of one of the larger Scoparids, but the more I look the more doubt I have and it may be too hard to tell.

Moth 4

Unusual circumstances this week resulted in the photos being not quite sharp, which is noticeable when they are opened full-size.

Tim Arnold
Newton Longville, Bucks

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tim,

    I'd suggest the first one is Tischeria ekebladella but none of the others ring any bells at the moment. I'll have another look in the morning and will report back if anything comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moth 4 looks like a dark specimen of Ringed China-mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had another look this morning. I think you are correct with the gelechiid being an Anacampsis, possibly populella but it would really need dissection to get safely to species. I think Adam is correct with the last one (the ringed appearance of the abdomen makes me think china-mark too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Dave and thank you Adam.

    I had put the unidentified moths back in the freezer, so I'll send the likely Anacampsis off to Peter.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.