Sunday 8 November 2020

Lockdown Longwick Leafmining

 Last night was milder and brought out a few moths I haven't seen for a while such as Black Rustic and Large Yellow Underwing as well as firsts for the year including December Moth and Feathered Thorn.


I took a stroll through the village and found some rather scraggy Elm of some sorts along the main road. It is the first time I have noticed the Elm and at least it gives me a possible source for the Dusky lemon sallow I had a few years ago.

I also checked for leaf mines and think I found :

-Stigmella Aceris on a maple species

-Stigmella Tityrella on Beech


I also found a mine on the Elm. It appeared a bit like a Bucculatrix mine with the clear spaces but the logical species doesn't appear to be found in the area. Any ideas?






2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    Yes to Stigmella aceris on what to me looks like field maple and yes to Stigmella tityrella on beech (tityrella mines start from the mid-rib, hemargyrella mines start from anywhere but the mid-rib). The one on elm is certainly an early Bucculatrix mine before the larvae vacates to feed freely outside (it has two of those typical "dead-ends" before the final exit point) and so must be albedinella. That is a fairly widespread species locally and I get the mines in the garden here as well as adults regularly in the trap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave,

    I thought that might be the case but my rather out of date micro info (plus the NBN Gateway) suggested it wasn't found here and i assumed I was wrong! Thanks for confirming it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.