Monday 21 March 2022

Late to the party

 


This is my contribution to the Pammene giganteana-to-a-pheromone-lure story: I note several people have already reported this moth coming to MOL and FUN pheromones. This one turned up at a SKI lure in my back garden in Chorleywood, at around 3.00 yesterday afternoon. I managed to frighten away 2 more at about 4.00 and either the same two returned or two others were trapped later. The lure was hung in dappled shade, but it was a bright sunny day. I presume that normally this is a nocturnal animal. In which case, is it possible that it is the females that, in normal circumstances, dictate the night flying by only 'calling' at night? Or is that an inference too far? 

I did, at the same time, also hang out a FUN lure, perhaps 25/30 feet away, which had no success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.