Saturday 19 March 2022

Unusual Twin-spotted Quaker

I have a large Sallow aka Goat Willow (Salix caprea) in my garden.  It is currently blooming and last night I had 52 moths of seven species.  

One moth confused me for a while. It was quite plain and much larger than the many Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi). I initially thought it was a pale form of Clouded Drab (Orthosia incerta).  

On closer inspection it clearly had antennae with projections which leads me to believe this is a Twin-spotted Quaker (Anorthoa munda) without obvious spots, which I beleive is f. immaculata.  I have not seen this before. 

A couple of photos  (with and without flash) to compare with the normal form of Twin-spotted Quaker, the feint spots in the photo not at all obvious in life.


Neil Fletcher
Walter's Ash, VC24


2 comments:

  1. Hi Neil, To me the twin spots do show up well enough (at least on the upper photo) - but are brown rather than the usual black, so not quite 'immaculate'? This also seems to happen sometimes with other Orthosiini with spots in this position - as illustrated by Dave a couple of years ago with the Lead-coloured Drab (https://upperthamesmoths.blogspot.com/2020/02/things-are-picking-up.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, the spots were not at all evident in life. I think they only show in the upper photo through the wonders of Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.