Monday 25 May 2015

Bacombe Hill

Much taken with your C drurella, Dave. Some of the small moths are amongst the most colourful. It bears similarities with a couple of Pancalia which I caught by sweep-net at Bacombe Hill, Bucks, 2 days ago.


A bit too fidgety to photograph easily, but full of metallic colours (and about 6 or7 mm long). However, I'm not sure which of the two species I've got; probably leeuvenhoekella (spelling?), but the signs seem a bit ambiguous. Anybody who would like to share an opinion would be very welcome.
At the same time I came across a Stephensia brunnichella, another moth with metallic markings - and even smaller:


Knocked out of a Juniper bush was the following caterpillar:


A Common Footman larva. Probably feeding on lichens on the bush - but there is now some debate about what else they will eat. Juniper itself seems unlikely.

Andy King.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Andy, I agree, some of the smallest moths have the most amazing colours! Your Pancalia looks a bit dishevelled but the white area on the antennae is clearly visible, making it leuwenhoekella. The Stephensia is a very nice find - a moth I've yet to see. There are only about four previous Bucks records but one of them is from Bacombe Hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Dave, I've seen it (Stephensia) once before and that was at Ivinghoe Beacon. But they are v. small and active and I don't know whether or not they come to light. The sort of thing you might come across by sweeping or just snooping about the chalk hills.
      Andy.

      Delete
    2. That's interesting, considering how much work I've done on the Beacon! Two of the four Bucks records were to MV light. Your previous one doesn't seem to have reached the county recorder yet...

      Delete
  2. PS: I've given your post a title - too easily forgotten on Blogger.

    ReplyDelete