Friday 29 May 2015

Baffled as ever



Things have been quietish in Thrupp but agreeable old familiars keep arriving: Peppered, Scorched Wing, Gold Spangle, Treble Lines, Figure of 80, White and Buff Ermine and a warehouse full of Carpets (and Pugs) which I may despairingly post here. Just for now, I can't track down the undeniably distinctive moth above and I also wondered if anyone might be able to ID the eggs below - apols for pic quality. I had a Puss Moth visit and - although uncertain of its sex - left it for a couple of days in a box with some willow. No Puss moth eggs resulted, but these appeared. I don't think they were there before I cut the willow but maybe there was another creature hidden away. Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

3 comments:

  1. Hello Martin, your distinctive brown job looks to me like the dark form of Clouded-bordered Brindle and I would suggest that the eggs might well be those of a ladybird. Do you have a picture of your Gold Spangle? That would be a rather good moth down here (and a tad early too!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. especially as an old familiar :). we'll be trapping overnight in your garden Martin. Is it possibly Gold Spot as there's been a few of those caught recently - not by me I might add since I am still catching very little indeed. eggs definitely look like ladybird eggs to me. just been rearing some through off pine which are striped ladybird. there's an excellent site to identify larvae and record ladybirds: http://www.ladybird-survey.org/ladybirds.aspx. Just need to fed them a few aphids, grow them up a little and they are fairly easy to identify.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help, sorry, it is indeed Gold Spot. Thanks for keeping me in order - and for the IDs of both moth and eggs All warmest as ever Martin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.