Wednesday 16 September 2020

Autumn drifts on...

Things continue to wind down here in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, but the night of the 15th was reasonably promising, and I deployed my mercury lamp to see whether I could get a reasonable catch. I was rewarded with 36 species and almost 150 individuals, with the highlight a handsome Large Ranunculus. There were also a couple of queries, as well as one from the previous night: I can't decide whether this is a worn specimen of a perfectly familiar species, or possibly an Acleris shepherdana:

Unknown micro sp., 14/9/20

This micro (like my one the other day) looks like an Elachista species, but isn't fully ticking any boxes for me:

Unknown micro sp., 15/9/20

And I'm usually very confident on Black Rustic, which is what I thought this individual was when I first found it; but it was distinctly on the small side - around 17/18mm - and the markings around the kidney mark aren't especially striking: so it could simply be a Deep-brown Dart (of which I've had several:

Possible Black Rustic, 15/9/20

As ever, any suggestions/confirmations would be welcome!

Steve Goddard

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, I'll pass on the first. The unknown micro is Bucculatrix nigricomella. I think Deep-brown Dart for the last, but not easy to tell from the photo, best to wait for other opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First one Scleris schalleriana. Last one I agree poor photo but probably Black Rustic. Larger than Deep-brown Dart, more glossy and much more numerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both. Agreed on the quality of the last photo: I think on balance, I'll go for Black Rustic, as it was my first instinct upon seeing it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.