Wednesday 9 September 2020

Elephant Hawk Moth Pupa Advice

 Over the last couple of days I've found a couple of Elephant Hawk Moth pupae in our back garden. I suspect this means that one of my visitors to the trap earlier in the year saw fit to lay eggs in the back garden. What I want to know is what I should do with it. Is it now looking for somewhere to pupate over the winter or is it still wanting to feed? Should I put it somewhere safe in the garden or can I keep it myself and let it overwinter within a box or something?



1 comment:

  1. Hello Adam,

    I presume you mean you found caterpillars as that's what you've photographed. They feed mainly on Rosebay Willowherb but can also be partial to Fuchsias which are more likely to be found in a garden. Personally, I'd let them go somewhere sheltered in your back garden and they'll sort themselves out. The chances are that, as you suggest, they're now looking for somewhere to pupate.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.