Friday 18 September 2020

Number 8 - now in Wolvercote



Tonight is the first anniversary of my first Clifden Nonpareil. This morning, the penultimate eggbox in a fairly sparse and generally routine collection of moths yielded my eighth this year. I was due to see a friend in Wolvercote with a general interest in natural history and I remembered that Steve Goddard recorded Nonpareils there last year and in 2019. So I hope it wasn't irresponsible to bike down with the quiet and contented visitor and release it near Port Meadow in the fine Morning Glory climber shown above.  I've just seen Alan's post, immediately preceding this, and am delighted that Tackley is now on this relentless tourist's tick list. The second picture shows the moth in Thrupp before its two-wheeled journey.

The picture below is probably far too blurred but if you think there's enough there for a 'probable' ID, Dave, this is the only picture I've got of the micro which I hopelessly hadn't noticed behind the poor wasp victim shown in my last post, which you thought might be Cameraria ohridella.  We do have horse chestnuts around us.   Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon 



2 comments:

  1. It certainly looks like Cameraria ohridella to me, Martin. The pattern of stripes is quite distinctive and there has been a mass emergence of adults over the past few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not yet had a Clifden Nonpareil this year, Martin (we've moved to a new house, about 200 yards away from the previous one, but measurably less productive in terms of moth catches), but with any luck, I might get a visit from this one!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.