Wednesday 25 October 2017

Another perspectalis

I guess most people have had Cydalima perspectalis now, though I remember a few were new for their gardens this year.  My first turned up last night, so is presumably a second brood.  I'll have to keep an eye on my box bushes!


Otherwise, little of note, 33 moths of 15 species: November agg, Spruce Carpet, Common Marbled Carpet, Red-green Carpet, Feathered Thorn, Yellow-line Quaker, Brick, Large Yellow Underwing, Snout, Blastobasis lacticolella, Epiphyas postvittana (most numerous), Acleris sparsana, Amblyptilia acanthadactyla and a very worn specimen that looks like it might be Epinotia nisella (one for Peter).

One of the November aggs looked quite distinctive.  It is small (about the size of a small Carpet moth like Grey Pine), so presumably a female and has a broad blackish central bar and obvious dark bases to the wings.  Does this well marked pattern make it more likely to be one of the particular three species?  I've kept it for Peter anyway, but all those that have been checked in the past have been November.


Adam Bassett
Marlow Bottom

1 comment:

  1. I've just this week posted an image onto the Moth Dissection website of a female Small Autumnal moth, following a chat with a guy who lives in the Hebrides - who also posted an image of a males' bits. I've tried to copy the image format of a female Autumnal moth prep and to be honest I can see no obvious difference. The issue with doing this for female November and Pale November is knowing for sure which one you have and everyone says they are also identical internally(but I'd like to know for sure of course).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.