Sunday 15 October 2017

Leafmine on Pear

The trap hasn't exactly been that exciting the last couple of nights with Nettle Tap and Burnished Brass the limit of the excitement. However I thought I would look for Dave Wilton's recent mine on the pear tree in my Longwick garden. I didn't find that one but did find the one below.

I struggled to identify it from the keys available. I thought it was a stigmella but the options that most closely matched were unexpected at best or very rare! The closest was Stigmella Pyri which I would discount entirely except for the fact that I know the tree has been in Bucks for 18 years but started life in Ludlow in Shropshire and there appear to be S. Pyri records from the Marches.

So either its interesting, it isn't a stigmella or its swapped hosts and I'm literally barking up the wrong tree! Help appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, we could do with a clearer image but from what I can see it does indeed look to be a very good match for Stigmella pyri (green larva, contorted mine with black coiled frass). Needless to say it would be a first for Bucks of quite an uncommon species! Is the leaf still on the tree and if so would you be able to refind it? A check with a hand lens to see if the larva has a pale-ish head with a reddish gut line would be helpful! It would have to be done fairly soon (either today or tomorrow) because the mine looks fairly complete and you'd be in danger of the larva exiting the mine to pupate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes still on the tree - I will find it and post another picture.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.