Saturday 14 October 2017

Possible Pale-lemon Sallow ab. gilvescens?

I think I might have a Pale-lemon Sallow ab. gilvescens here - caught last night in the Robinson trap at Ali's Pond LNR in Sonning. The slightly hooked forewing tips appear to point to that rather than the rounded-winged Dusky-lemon Sallow. Can any experts confirm or correct me? And should I send it off to Peter Hall for dissection or can I let it go? If it is PLS then it looks like that is fairly unusual for Berks as I can't find any records for it on Mapmate. Comments welcome.


In addition to the above, it was a great National Moth Night's trapping for me last night all round as I am sure it was for many. Caught 68 macro-moths of 21 species, including firsts for the year for me of Red-green Carpet, Barred Sallow, Yellow-line Quaker, Green-brindled Crescent and Brown-spot Pinion. Also caught a pristine, presumably second brood, Buff Footman and this fantastic Giant Ichneumon - another first for me.





2 comments:

  1. I think this probably just Dusky-lemon Sallow, which has the tip slightly pointed but not hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martin. I am going to send it to Peter for dissection. Dusky-lemon Sallow would be a new parish record as well so hopefully a win-win!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.