Saturday 21 October 2017

My first moth trapping night!

Hi,
I recently bought myself a twin actinic Skinner moth trap and I couldn't wait to give it a go! This was my first moth trapping experience so I really wasn't too sure what to expect.
I set it up on Wednesday(18th) night in the thick fog in my garden. I was amazed the next morning to find 53 moths, 19 species. It did take me about 5 hours to identify them all.....I hope I'm going to get quicker with a bit more practice! I had 2 Vestal, 1 Delicate, 1 Green Brindled Crescent, 1 Large Wainscot just to name a few.
I'm now totally hooked and I can't wait to set it up again to see what else I might catch!

Lorna Woolhouse, Checkendon, South Oxfordshire

Vestal (sorry for such poor quality photo)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lorna, this is a good time of year to start because you won't be inundated with moths now and can build up your confidence before things take off again in the spring! Of the moths you mention, Vestal and Delicate are both migrants and only tend to appear in the UK when/if we have southerly winds at this time of year so there's quite an element of luck involved in getting to see them. If you happen to have a photo of the Delicate it would be really good to see (when signed in to Blogger you can click on the pencil symbol beneath your own posts to get back in to change/add things).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the info about the Vestal and Delicate moths. I find it incredible how something so small can come such a long way! I'm afraid I didn't take a picture of the Delicate moth. I shall be better prepared next time and make sure I take plenty of pictures on my proper camera not just on my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lorna, welcome to the blog.
    Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Lorna and welcome. I've been trapping about four years now and I'm still a Vestal virgin!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a terrific start, Lorna. I hope (and am sure) that you will get as much pleasure, enjoyment and amazement from the moths as I have over rather too many years to mention. And if you can't ID them, never fear. I am useless at a whole battalion of grey, brown or vaguely carpety species but Dave, Peter and all the other experts on this invaluable blog are endlessly helpful (and forgiving). All warm wishes, Martin W

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for such a warm welcome! I'm sure I shall be calling on all your invaluable knowledge very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.