Friday 5 October 2018

Least Carpet

Last night didn't provide the same type of quality as the previous night but there was some equally interesting moths in what was a really nice diverse catch comprising 31 species. I never get the numbers Dave gets in his garden of most of the Autumn species (my Lunar Underwing totals rarely exceed 20, Black Rustic is exceptional if in double figures and most of the Sallows only turn up as individuals every now and again) but I do get a lot of species showing partial extra generations with Swallowtailed Moth pretty much a guaranteed second generation at this time of year and with a couple earlier in the week. This week Mottled Rustic joined the growing garden list of species showing partial second/multiple generations in 2018 with three individuals and last night I had two fresh Least Carpet.  Last night I also recorded my first Large Wainscot and Merveille du Jours of the year for the garden, and earlier in the week got my first Didcot record of Dusky Lemon Sallow (it has been recorded nearby before). Box Moth continues to put in an appearance with another individual last night. 

Marc Botham, Didcot

Least Carpet 04/10/18

1 comment:

  1. Compared to the previous night, last night here at Westcott the garden actinic caught six fewer moths but 14 more species! Feathered Thorn and Blair's Shoulder-knot were additions to the year-list, Pale Pinion was new for the autumn season, I got a late Yellow-tail and White-point and this time three Merveille du Jours turned up, but otherwise everything was much as expected at this time of year. Best "spots" last night were actually non-moths, with a couple of Great Crested Newts seen foraging on the playing fields behind us while I was out dog-walking at about 10pm and then a noisy appearance by the garden's hedgehog as it trampled through the fallen leaves under our lime while I closed up the trap at 6am!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.