Wednesday 3 October 2018

Marlow Bottom Oct 2nd

After my almost nil return at the weekend, I put the trap out again last night and had a much more respectable 73 moths of 22 species, though nothing too exciting.

Carcina quercana (13) has obviously had a good second brood and was the most numerous moth. Treble Brown Spot was only my second October example following one last year, whilst Archips podana and a tatty Yellow Shell also seemed a little late.  I get very few Broad-bordered Yellow Underwings here, only seven records ever and usually late and worn examples.  Last night I increased my tally to ten, though typically three very worn and battered specimens.  Cydalima perspectalis is becoming more expected nowadays, though this is the first time I have trapped more than one, as two appeared. I also had only my second Epinotia ramella and have retained a presumed Monopis obviella for Peter - all the examples I get here look to me like obviella, but I could be overlooking crocicapitella.

Other moths trapped were: Caloptilia semifascia (2), Ypsolopha parenthesella (3), Acleris sparsana (5), Acleris variegana (4), Grey Pine Carpet, Common Marbled Carpet (2), Willow Beauty (4), Light Emerald (2), Snout (2), Green-brindled Crescent, Barred Sallow (3), Beaded Chestnut (3), Lunar Underwing (8), Large Yellow Underwing (10).



 


As an addendum, this week (Oct 1st) is the first time I have seen a Cydalima perspectalis during the day time. I came across one resting on a path I was walking along at Little Marlow, so I moved it to a nearby fence post.
 
 
Adam Bassett

1 comment:

  1. I had Treble Brown Spot in the garden last night (Wednesday), my first ever second brood specimen. Looking at the Bucks records, the first obvious one was way back in September 1999, then further single examples followed in 2007 and 2011, but from 2016 onwards there have been annual reports in September/October. It now looks like another species we are going to enjoy regularly at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.