Sunday 7 October 2018

Return from southern Italy, and a micro query

I have recently returned from a walking holiday in Southern Puglia, where as well as plenty of butterflies there were more Hummingbird Hawk-moths than I could count along the roadside verges. The garden trap therefore had it's first outing on Friday evening for nearly a fortnight.
The Square-spot Rustics seem to have disappeared while I have been away, but Large Yellow Underwings are still around (15) and the top scorers were unsuprisingly Lunar Underwings (27).
New sightings for the year were Green-brindled Cresent (1), Barred Sallow (2), Pink-barred Sallow (1), Blair's Shoulder-knot (1), Deep-brown Dart (5) and Black Rustic (4).

There were just a few micros, and I wondered if the one below is good for Acleris schalleriana? Or does it need closer checking?


Steve Trigg, Cookham

5 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, that Acleris is not at all well marked but the size and shape are good for schalleriana and there are images on the web which look very similar to your example. I can't see what else it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I’d seen that in my trap, it would have gone down as Acleris sparsana. Why is it not that species?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my initial thought too, Adam, but the shape doesn't really look right for sparsana which is usually a bit larger too. On reflection maybe it would be worth getting it checked.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dave and Adam, thanks for your thoughts. I also went for schalleriana rather than sparsana based on the shape and size. I have retained the moth, so we can get a definitive answer once it has been checked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thought sparsana...let's see who is correct!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.