Monday 15 July 2024

Possible Lampronia corticella

 The following images are of a micro, (FL ~5mm) that I found late yesterday afternoon in my LUN trap. Unfortunately they are not very good, as I casually assumed it was Nemapogon koenigi and only took a few "record" shots, which were very dark and have had to be quite strongly lightened to make them any use. It wasn't until I released it that I saw I was mistaken, but then only had my phone to hand. Nevertheless I would say they are just about good enough, and I can find images that match on an internet search.
However the date, 14th July, seems to be a bit outside the stated flight period, (May-June) and if the LH antenna is correct and not deformed, then it is too long, though the RH antenna looks fine. So expert opinion sought!
Thanks,
Phil T








2 comments:

  1. Hello Phil,
    I'm afraid that's not a Lampronia. It looks to me more like a fairly well-marked example of Triaxomasia caprimulgella, a species which was thought to be quite rare until the recent more widespread use of pheromone lures told us otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, I should have thought of that, because I had Triaxomasia caprimulgella to a lure here last year, also in early July, and have a photo of it that looks pretty similar!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.