Saturday 13 July 2024

Something of a surprise

I've been trapping steadily (but with fairly moderate results) in my garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, since April, but for various reasons am some way behind on writing up my records. However, an unexpected species last night seemed worth flagging up: the individual in question showed up clinging to the side of one of my traps this morning. Unless I'm very much mistaken, it's a Red-belted Clearwing: a surprise, as I don't think they usually come to light, and I haven't deployed any type of pheromone lure. I don't imagine it's especially rare, but in a year that's been short on NFG species, this was a nice surprise.

Red-belted Clearwing, 12/7/24

Steve Goddard

1 comment:

  1. Hello Steve,
    Yes, that is indeed Red-belted Clearwing. A very nice find if no pheromone lure was used.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.