Friday 2 August 2024

A couple of Pugs

 I know Pugs are not easy from photos but I would welcome an opinion on these two. Both would be new garden records. The first is a possible Marsh Pug caught on 1st August. Definitely on the small side. The second is a possible Larch Pug caught on 31st July. Medium size. Both have been retained but unfortunately I forgot to measure wingspan before they went in the freezer! Obsidentify came up with these identifications as 100% and they do seem to match the images on county websites and in the books.



Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.


4 comments:

  1. Hello Andy,
    Marsh Pug is usually seen during the daytime but the size and shape of your moth do look promising. Same for the potential Larch Pug with that white mark on the abdomen, but I think both could do with closer examination to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have just sent a batch to Peter so I will keep them for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy no doubt about Marsh Pug. Nice one - you have to go back to 1986 for the last VC23 record then 1972, although there have been several more recently just over the boundary in Bucks. The second one could well be Larch Pug - it has the white thoracic spot but is very worn and I would be dissecting it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will get it checked to be sure.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.