Saturday 24 August 2024

Pheromone power!

 This year I tried for Gypsy Moth using a pheromone lure, and having successfully trapped one in the garden, and also used it to establish the species' presence locally in another two 1km squares, I returned the lure to the freezer, washed the basket, and put the empty trap back in the garage. I was therefore rather surprised when I found a Gypsy Moth in the trap (in the garage) a couple of days later! I decided that there must be traces of pheromone on the trap itself and washed that too. 

But just out of curiosity, I put the washed trap with empty washed basket out overnight last night...only to find a Gypsy Moth in it this morning! Clearly these pheromones are pretty persistent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.