Saturday 3 August 2024

Webb's or Brown-veined?

 


Just picking up on my exchange with Dave in the Comments on my last post here, I have been on the lookout for the L-album Wainscot since Dave Morris' interesting post at the end of June. I thought that this might be it, when it came a week ago. But then I checked the Moth Bible and decided that it was Webb's Wainscot which has visited me for the last couple of years. Now I am just wondering whether it may instead be a Brown-veined Wainscot. We have lots of reedbeds nearby. Advice would be much-appreciated, as always.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon




2 comments:

  1. Hello Martin,

    That's a Brown-veined Wainscot, which seems to me to be quite a nice garden record. Both this species and Twin-spotted Wainscot are supposed to use reeds in ditches and other damp areas but my own sightings have nearly all been at more established wetland sites with extensive reed-beds. I've had each of them just the once in my own garden even though we are close to lots of potentially suitable ditches with reeds.

    I'm sure you'll get to see Webb's Wainscot again this year because it is becoming ever more common locally. It is about twice the size of Brown-veined and is more likely to be confused with Bulrush Wainscot (of which I had my first of 2024 last night). My own garden count for Webb's this year is already into double figures since the first on 18th July. L-album Wainscot is another one slowly increasing its range - its spread seems to be much slower than that of Webb's but it is quite likely to turn up for you eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Dave and it's encouraging news about the spread of the wainscots. The BV is new for my garden which is always a pleasure after such a long time. I'll await the L-album patiently. All vb M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.