Sunday 11 August 2024

Zimmermania atrifrontella?


 This micro came to my actinic light in oak woodland in N. Bucks last night. I would probably have put it down as Nepticulid sp. because of the eye-caps, but the app was 100% certain that it was Zimmermania atrifrontella. The Field Guide has no picture of this species, and I could only find one half-way decent image online, but it suggested that this ID was probably correct.

If it is Zimmermania, then of the two possibilities in the Field Guide, the white thorax rules out longicaudella. Images of Nepticulids seem generally hard to come by, so I can’t easily check whether there might be other alternatives, but at the minute this looks like the best answer.

If dissection is necessary, then I have retained it.

Phil T


6 comments:

  1. Hello Phil,
    Please get it checked. We know little about the differences between atrifrontella and longicaudela as adults and, as far as I'm aware, in the UK longicaudella is still only known from Bernwood Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is a splendid picture, though! My camera really struggles with species which are this small. Would be great to have this image for the on-line Atlas when its identity has been confirmed.

      Delete
    2. I use a Lumix FZ1000, but with a supplementary lens for very small micros, (or nano's as I call them!)

      Delete
  3. Hi Phil, not to detract from your photo, but there are a few good photos of atrifrontella adults on the Lepiforum website (https://lepiforum.org/wiki/page/Zimmermannia_Atrifrontella) and one of longicaudella (in resting position, but also some pinned out). These images largely support your identification. There appears to be one other Zimmermannia on the UK list (Z. amani) but I can't see any photos of that in resting position (one pinned out on Lepiforum which shows no clear distinguishing marks).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John, I'll take a look there.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.