Saturday 28 May 2016

Cauchas fibulella?

One of the many good things about this website is that it sometimes highlights the appearance of moths that might otherwise be overlooked. So, many thanks to Dave Wilton for his post about seeing Cauchas fibulella. I happen to have some speedwell in my garden. More importantly, I mentioned to my wife that there might be a tiny moth lurking on it. She seems to have much keener eyesight than me when it comes to spotting small creatures on vegetation, and the result is below.


I am a complete beginner when it comes to recognising longhorn moths, but this does look to me like C. fibulella.

Steve Trigg, Cookham

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, that is certainly fibulella and is a nice find in your garden, well done! Several of the 'long-horns' tend to sit around on their larval food-plant like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one I found yesterday in the garden is still there but has moved about 2 inches (I marked the spot). I found a further 3 in the front garden this morning. These tiny dark moths can look like spots before your eyes when flying.

    ReplyDelete