Wednesday 11 May 2016

Help needed with a few moths that are new to me

I rescued my soggy garden moth trap this morning at first light, in a gap between 2 torrential downpours. Left out any longer, it might have floated away.
Despite the rain, I found 43 moths of 21 different species, the best total so far this year. Moths new for the year were Brimstone Moth, Scalloped Hazel, Swallow Prominent, Green Carpet, Scorched Carpet, Cabbage Moth and the first Heart and Dart (hurrah, summer is here!).
There were also a few moths new to me and my garden list. The first I think is a Water Carpet, shown below.


And am I correct in thinking that this next moth is a Seraphim?


In addition, there were 2 new micros. I think this first one is Incurvaria masculella.
Correction, having looked at the side view, I think it is Incurvaria oehlmanniella.



The second looks to me like either Caloptilia alchimiella or robustella.


Finally, I always have trouble distinguishing between Spruce Carpet and Grey Pine Carpet. So I am not sure which one this moth below is.


Steve Trigg, Cookham

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve: Top to bottom...Broken-barred Carpet, Seraphim, I really need to see a side shot of the Incurvaria to check on the absence of a small costal spot. The Caloptilia needs chopping to get to reliable species level (so keep it for me)and finally Grey Pine Carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Peter. I can see now that it is a Broken-barred Carpet - a moth I have seen before.
    Re the Incurvaria, I have now added a side shot and you can see that there is indeed a small costal spot. I guess that makes it Incurvaria oehlmanniella (I have no idea how you pronounce that).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Steve, no - you were correct first time around - it is masculella. When that small leading-edge spot is present (not always, but I think usually so on masculella females) it is placed forward of the tornal white marking. On oehlmanniella it is behind the tornal marking (have a look at the pictures on ukmoths.org.uk).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I should have read the text properly in the Sterling & Parsons guide, where it does explain the difference in the position of the small leading-edge spot.

      Delete