Saturday 20 July 2019

A few puzzles from recent weeks

Another few from the last fortnight or so in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, some of which I'm entirely stumped on, others I have some ideas for. This first one is, I suspect, somewhat worn, but looks as though it should be identifiable:

Unknown macro, 6/7/19
This second one, again, looks to be identifiable - possibly some variant on Pinion-streaked Snout, though I suspect it's likelier to turn out to be a micro:

Unknown, 11/7/19
This one, likewise, looks rather like something identifiable - a Tissue, for example - but the combination of features - clear spot on forewing, scalloped hindwing, etc. - is hard to pin down:

Unknown macro, 12/7/19
I'm wondering whether this isn't a Cream Wave, to go with the Lesser Cream Wave I had confirmed the other day:

Possible Cream Wave, 10/7/19
If it's capable of being pinned down, I'd have said this was a Swammerdamia compunctella, though I know the family is difficult to identify on appearance alone:

Possible Swammerdamia compunctella, 12/7/19
And finally, I'm inclined to say Wormwood Pug, but would be grateful of confirmation or other suggestions:

Possible Wormwood Pug, 10/7/19

As ever, all suggestions gratefully received!

Steve Goddard

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, the third one is Dark Umber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second photo is Brachmia blandella Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you compare your first 'unknown macro' to one posted by Dave last week (15th) they have a number of similarities (reddish-brown colour, with inner crossline jagged/scalloped, pale-edged oval and kidney marks, and outer crossline represented by dashes). This would suggest it is the Suspected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all: the Suspected, which does indeed look highly plausible, is a garden first for me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.