Wednesday 24 July 2019

Dark Crimson Underwing & some confirmations please

Lots of moths this morning. Many looking really knackered. I saw Black Waved and Leopard Moth last night so I wondered what this morning would bring.

Initially I was disappointed - there was a vaguely familiar micro outside the trap and opening up the trap I didn't notice anything particularly interesting. There was a bit of what I thought was a funny looking Copper Underwing sitting at the top. I gave it a light prod expecting it to scuttle off - instead I got a flash of pinkish red. This was then nearly a tale of the one that got away and I'd not got a proper record, only a suspicion - but unlike Red Underwings that generally head off straight away, this one was docile enough to pot - and then it started up.

I'm thinking Dark Crimson Underwing (Now confirmed by Martin Townsend) which after the Clifden is probably the most spectacular moth I've caught.





Re the micro - I'm thinking perhaps Calamotropha paludella which is also new for me.



To the more mundane - I have a couple of Pugs. No idea re the first - the second White-spotted?




Then a Dusky Thorn (first of the year) rather than September?



Finally a quick question - are the 2nd gen Vine's Rustics out? I've had a couple of fresh greyish Rustics with clearer "watermarked" ovals.


Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford



4 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,

    Firstly, congratulations on your Dark Crimson Underwing!

    Your queried micro is indeed Calamatropha paludella. Of the Pugs I'll pass on the first but the second is White-spotted, while the final picture is, as you say, Dusky Thorn.

    I've not seen second-brood Vine's Rustic yet but they should start very soon now (if they haven't already) and reach a peak again at the end of August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top pug Slender Pug lower one I initially thought Shaded but when I zoomed in realised how big it looks compared to the Rustic and Least Yellow Underwing above it so probably Yarrow Pug. Will need specimen to confirm.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.