Thursday 25 July 2019

Micros for confirmation/identification

A couple of nights ago in my garden, two micros took a while to potentially identify in the books:  the first seems a good fit for Endothenia ustulana - which is described as very local (not sure what that means). There are no woods nearby although I do have the host plant Bugle (Ajuga reptans) growing in the garden. I see that it can be confused with E. pullana (this has a different host plant and the crossbands appear much lighter).



The other is a Plume that I have not seen before, and the best fit seems to be Mugwort Plume (especially the dark oblique streaks at the cleft) - can anyone confirm?

John Thacker 
Harwell, Oxon

3 comments:

  1. Hello John,
    Yes to Endothenia ustulana which is fairly widespread locally (I've had it in the garden here and in a couple of local woods). The plume picture should really be run past Colin Hart (he of "British Plume Moths" fame) but I agree that it could be Hellinsia lienigianus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin Hart has confirmed that the plume is indeed Hellinsia lienigianus, a very nice record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Dave - I have sent Colin details of the record as requested.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.