Saturday 13 July 2019

Perplexing plume

Plume moths in my garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, tend to be either Emmelina, Pterophorus or Amblyptilia - or at least, that's what I tend to assume they are... However, this individual, from a couple of nights ago, clearly is none of those three; instead, it's either Tansy or Yarrow Plume, and I think I'm tending to think it's the former (Gillmeria ochrodactyla), for all that it's referred to as 'very local' in the bible. Is there any way of distinguishing it from this series of photos? Either would be a first for my garden.

Tansy or Yarrow Plume, 11/7/19

Tansy or Yarrow Plume, 11/7/19
Tansy or Yarrow Plume, 11/7/19
Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Looks good for Gillmeria pallidactyla to me, Steve. Less pronounced markings than ochrodactyla, its palps are clearly visible and the hindleg tibia is uniformly brownish between the spurs (rather than banded brown and white as in ochrodactyla).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.