Friday 26 July 2019

Satin Lutestring and other Macro questions

A number of macros from last night for identification, confirmation or correction as appropriate.

1, Satin Lutestring?


2. Least Carpet ?


3. Looks a bit like a Crescent Dart but seems unlikely.


4. Maybe just another Common Rustic agg.


5. Pug of some sort.


Any help appreciated. Thinking I may have ignored a Small Chocolate-tip without even taking a photo last week I am trying to be more careful although last night was challenging with so many moths and Large Yellow Underwings running around and disturbing everything. At least the wasps ate quite a few to reduce the numbers a bit!

Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,

    Well, well - please hang on to that possible Crescent Dart because I think you may well be correct!! All the features seem to be there. It would be worth contacting Martin T in case he hasn't seen the blog entry.

    Of the others, yes to Satin Lutestring (probably also a very rare beast in VC23 and I had the first for VC24 earlier this year). Yes also to Least Carpet which is around in huge numbers at the moment and I'm surprised you haven't had it before. I think you are correct with the Common Rustic agg. (although it pays to keep your eyes open for Suspected which seems to be having a really good year) but I'll pass on the Pug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incidentally, I suspect Small Chocolate-tip would also be something exceptional for VC23. It is indeed flying at the moment (Martin A and I went looking for it at Stoke Common, Bucks last night and we both had it to light there). Not a moth you could really confuse with Chocolate-tip because it is half the size!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks as always for your prompt and detailed replies. I have popped the possible Crescent Dart in the freezer and will contact Martin directly.
    It is certainly the first Least Carpet I have recorded. I see in the 2018 Warwickshire BC report that 15 were recorded in Warwickshire last year which was noted as the best year to date.
    The possible sighting of the Small Chocolate-tip was at the nearby Lamb's Pool BBOWT reserve. It was sitting in a flat posture like the photo on the Norfolk moths website and looked a bit malformed. Obviously I don't have sufficient evidence to record it and will try to do some more trapping at the site which looks to me to have the potential to yield some interesting species. Unfortunately my attempts to go portable have been thwarted by a failed inverter and an unreliable generator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bottom one Currant Pug, others as stated. For Small Chocolate-tip you need 'dwarf' or prostrate willows.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.