Saturday 25 May 2019

Scorched Wing and questions

The Scorched Wing shown in the first photo came to my trap on 23 May and I record it here because it is the first I have caught. The second photo shows another moth found in the same trap. I think it must be an unusual form of Treble Lines, and a similar specimen is shown in Plate 54 of the third edition of the Waring/Townsend/Lewington field guide, but I would be pleased to have confirmation. There were 18 Treble Lines of the usual type in the same trap. The third photo shows one of the Beauties, found in my trap on 20 May and with wing length 23mm, which I think is a Pale Oak Beauty. Again, I would be pleased to have clarification.




John Clough, Marlow


2 comments:

  1. Hello John, that is indeed the dark form of Treble Lines (form obscura) which does appear quite regularly. Treble Lines seems to be having a good season which may be why we're seeing this and intermediate forms more often this year. The last is indeed Pale Oak Beauty which also seems to be having a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Dave - very useful comments as always.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.