Friday 17 September 2021

A very poor night until...

I trapped in some mixed woodland on the border with Northamptonshire not far from Silverstone last night and the results were dire despite reasonable weather.  Two 125w MV lights between them managed just 41 moths of 19 common species in the allotted three hours, while a 15w actinic almost out-performed them by bringing in 45 moths of 14 species until the moth below turned up just after midnight as I was packing it up.  Yet another new site in Bucks for this fantastic beast!  I haven't explored the wood thoroughly enough to know if it contains aspen but there are certainly plenty of mature poplars.

Clifden Nonpareil, 16th September

Dave Wilton Westcott, Bucks

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave. In 2019 I made what was then only the 9th record of this species in Northamptonshire. It must be quite close to where you were, but a kilometre on the VC32 side of the boundary - in Hazelborough Wood, which is also near Silverstone. Like you, I found poplars around, but I don't know if there are also aspen.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.