Wednesday 8 September 2021

Wainscots and recent catches

Most examples of these two species are not difficult once you've become familiar with them. In Mark's latest posting, look at the shape of the forewing, in particular the breadth, and also the shape of the termen (outer edge). Mark's other post shows an extreme pallens. These are very uncommon but do crop up when numbers are high, and examples with extensive dark scales on uns forewing are not uncommon especially 2nd brood. 

I have never seen a 2nd brood impura in spite of seeing many claims (no doubt due to over-focussing on hindwing colour), and I doubt its existence. As far as VC23 is concerned, in current climatic conditions I consider any records of it beyond about 20th or so of August to be dubious and in need of confirmation. The odd late straggler cannot be ruled out. I would be happy to dissect possibles. 

It has been quite good this week in the garden MV. Consecutively, Dark Crimson Underwing, Clifden Nonpareil and this morning Cydia amplana. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Martin. I've removed the recent Smoky records. Next year during the proper season I'll do comparisons so I can nail this down.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.