Monday 13 September 2021

Longwick Leafmines

 With Dave's post as a reminder I did as he said go out and about in the village looking for leaf mines.


Pictured are a couple of Blackthorn leaf mines which look a little like the Lyonetia pictures Dave posted but they might not be quite the same? Also I found mines on Willow - sadly the photo has focussed on ones which might not be lepidopterous as opposed to the mine which is out of focus below! The mine seem to start in the petiole - I wondered if it was possibly Phyllocnistis saligna?

I am working through quite a few mines which were visible on hazel at the moment. One thing about staring at leaves - you actually see larvae! I came across at least three species including well grown Vapourer and Pale Tussock.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    Your blackthorn mines do look promising for Lyonetia prunifoliella but I think it would need better images to be absolutely sure. However, even out-of-focus the willow mine on the lowest leaf is clearly Phyllocnistis saligna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave,

    I roughly recall the location so I can revisit and take better photographs.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.